Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Konnor's Surgery

Konny was less than 2 wks old when we first saw the urologist and found out he'd need hypospadia repair surgery after he was a year old. At the time, I just put it out of my mind, figuring there was no point worrying about it then. How quickly the year flew by!

We had a pre-op appt about 10 days before the surgery. Everything looked good to go but in order to stay that way, he couldn't even get a runny nose. Seriously! Aren't those pretty much standard in toddlers? Thankfully, (through lots of prayers) we managed to stay snot free.

Katie and Kelton were super excited to spend a few days at Nana and Papa's during this time and as I packed up their things on Mon evening, it all started seeming so close. I was pretty much keyed up Monday evening and all day Tuesday.

When we got home from work on Tuesday, these beautiful flowers and fun balloon were waiting for us from Eric's sweet cousin Katie. What a nice surprise after quite the anxiety ridden day!

Tuesday night was rough on Konnor since he couldn't have anything to drink after midnight, but I wasn't really able to sleep much anyway. By the time we left the house, I was feeling much calmer than I had been the previous day.

We got checked in and they had this little Ty tiger waiting for Konnor. Ty toys all have a birthdate and this one was Feb 13th, Konnor's bday! This just felt to me like a sign that the day was going to go fine.

We dressed Konny in a tiny hospital gown and tried our best to keep him happy while different Dr's and nurses came in to talk to us. They suggested some versed to make thing a little less traumatic when they took him back to the OR. We definitely agreed. It worked quickly and he hardly whimpered when the nice nurse took him back.

The surgery itself was about an hr and 15min. He was only away from us for just under 3 hrs. During this time, I discovered the hospital coffee shop carried almond milk, which is pretty uncommon. I was thrilled to have a latte and took it as another sign the day was going to go well. The only thing that took us off guard was finding out we'd be there all day and maybe overnight. Somewhere there was some lack of communication and we were under the impression we'd be leaving soon after he came out of anethesia. This left us a little unprepared but luckily Eric was able to find a health food store for coconut milk and snacks.

The first time I cried the whole day was when they wheeled him back to us. He was so tiny on the huge gurney and very pale and he hardly moved even when he saw us. I snuggled him up right away. He nursed and had some coconut milk and then just mostly slept. AND vomited. All over me. At that point the Dr was really pushing for us to stay but after several more hours he hadn't vomited anymore and they let us leave.

He slept really well that night and has just done great ever since! We thought we might get away without any of the lortab, but it's kind of hard to make a toddler sit still. After playing all day, he was a little uncomfortable and it helped take the edge off.

He was super happy when the other two kids came home. He and Kelton are definitely buddies!

We were worried that the surgery would be a little set back with him walking, but it hasn't at all. It hasn't stopped him from rocking out to Justin Bieber either!

Words cannot express how comforted and blessed we felt by all of the prayers, emails, texts, gifts and good thoughts! I know without all the love and support this would have been a much more difficult experience. XOXOXO


Jennifer said...

So glad everything went well!!! :)

Abby said...

So happy that he is back to normal and that you survived the experience! What a blessing.

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh! Baby, baby, baby! Should have bought 2 Biebs shirts! That needs to go on his bday video. I'm so glad that he did so well. :)

momof4 said...

I'm glad everything went well! It's hard when it's your kid going through something hard.

Retired teacher said...

love the videos of Konnor - and so thankful that all is well! We miss him dearly - such a sweetheart! The Lord has big plans for him.....

AF_wife said...

Shut up! Him dancing is the CUTEST thing ever! I'm so glad everything went well!!

pom. said...

Yay!! Glad that is over and he's doing so awesome. You take such good care of your babies. Love yer lil' fam.