Thursday, January 26, 2012

Baked Mini Donuts. Gluten, Dairy & Soy Free!


Since Katie was born (and then Konny), it's always been kind of a bummer that donuts are out of the question for us. I mean they are just completely horrible for you, but it used to be a fun little treat we'd get for Kelton every now and again. (There are expensive frozen ones, but frugal me hates buying them)

I'm not sure why I didn't think sooner to just make my own! AND I can bake them, which is way healthier anyway, duh!

After we picked up our Azure order last week, we stopped buy Bed Bath & Beyond for donut pans. What do you know, they were out except for the mini ones. Better than nothing, so we got 2.

Saturday morning, Katie and I whipped up some batter. It's easiest to fill the pans if you pour your batter into a bag and then snip the end off.



I ended up overfilling the first batch.
They looked like mini muffins instead of mini donuts.


The second batch turned out great!


We topped some with glaze and sprinkles and others with cinnamon powdered sugar.



They were a pretty big hit all the way around!
Plus I put 2 dz plain ones in the freezer.





Baked Donuts

(Adapted from Wilton)

2 cups Namaste Perfect Flour Blend
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (coconut milk with a splash of vinegar)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp Earth Balance (soy & dairy free), melted

Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray the donut pan with allergy friendly nonstick cooking spray.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl.

Whisk in buttermilk, eggs, and butter and beat until just combined. Fill each donut cup until about 1/2 full.

Bake 4-6 minutes, or until the top of the donuts spring back when touched. Cool for a couple minutes before removing from pan.


This made 5 dz donuts, but there probably would have been 6 dz if it wasn't for the overfilling incident with the first batch.

I can't wait to try other flavors! We had so much fun with them!

5 comments:

momof4 said...

YUM! Those look pretty tasty. I'm sure your kids must think you are the best after that breakfast!

Lisa said...

Yay for donuts! The donut pan is hands down one of the greatest inventions EVER!

Retired teacher said...

Looks like they were a hit..... Love donuts! Hope to get some supplies when I come over....

Leandrea at Coupons Are Great said...

Those look yummy. I think I need a donut pan now!

Jamie Kaufmann said...

Girl, we have too much in common. I haven't thought about milk-free donuts probably ever. Just tonight I bought some with milk baked in to try on Miles. But making them sounds a lot better! Never seen those pans! But I just heard of a donut maker...???

Our bday's are close. Mine is Tue. I want your kitchen appliances too. :)

We just started using Azure.

I love stopping in!