Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cheesy Potatoes - Allergy friendly!

When we first started down this food allergy journey, I felt pretty sad knowing so many dishes were just out of the question, like nearly every casserole I'd grown up on. Goodbye comfort foods!

Now 4 years in and I feel like I'm almost a pro. I say it all the time, but it is so much fun for me to take a favorite recipe and make it safe for everyone. When Easter was approaching, I knew I needed to tackle cheesy potatoes, known to many as hashbrown casserole.

Gluten, soy, and dairy free cheesy potatoes,
HERE WE GO!

I gathered my ingredients....

Usually I make my own hashbrowns and freeze them in batches. Since we were out, I was thrilled to learn that Ore-Ida's are safe!


1 bag (approx 4 cups) hashbrowns
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can cream of chicken soup (homemade allergy friendly version)
2 cups plain So Delicious coconut yogurt
1 bag Daiya cheese
2 cups gluten free corn flakes, crushed
1/4 cup Earth Balance soy free/dairy free margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients except corn flakes and butter until well combined. Spread into baking dish.


Mix cereal and butter, then sprinkle over top of potato mixture.


Bake for 45 minutes (uncovered) until bubbly.


Enjoy! They were delicious! Everyone (including my extended family members without food allergies) liked them! Mmmmm.


7 comments:

Lisa said...

You are a culinary genius! :)

Michelles Tasty Creations said...

Hi,

I followed you over from Chic and Crafty Link Party. These look delicious. With more and more food allergy's popping up I think it's great to have these type of recipes. I find myself asking every new friend my kids bring home if they are allergic to anything. Thanks for sharing.

I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. (Link up until Monday 4-23-12)

Have a great day,
Michelle

LaLa112 said...

Pinned! I have two friend who will probably love this recipe. yum!

Jamie Kaufmann said...

Can't wait to try. YES, we have used these frozen potatoes for years! Ore Ida, YAY!

Michelles Tasty Creations said...

Thanks so much for linking this yummy looking recipe up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to try this out. I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

Pam said...

Thank you so much for your expertise! I am just starting on this dairy free journey. I cannot seem to find the recipe for the allergy friendly cream of chicken soup. I would love to make these potatoes for Easter. Thank you!

Theresa said...

Hi Pam!

I use this recipe:

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/homemade-cream-of-chicken-soup/

a substitute dairy free milk and gluten free flour.

I talk about it in this blog:

http://coffeebeankisses.blogspot.com/2011/09/24-hours-of-fun.html

Good luck with the potatoes!!