Friday, May 4, 2012

Beauty Muffins - gluten free!

Searching for a way to add some chia seeds to my cooking, I came across a muffin recipe. I was pleased to discover even our favorite babysitter found them yummy! She's increasingly weirded out by my flagrant use of things like black beans in brownies and avocados in smoothies, so when she immediately ate two muffins, I knew this recipe was a keeper!

Flax and chia seeds are a great source of ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), an omega-3 essential fatty acid which is good for heart health and also promotes healthy skin, hair and nails. That tidbit of info is how these tasty treats became known at Beauty Muffins.


With very little oil and light on the sugar also, I don't mind when Konny eats 3 of them for breakfast in the morning. I think this is definitely a baked good we'll almost always have on hand since I simply cannot resist the sweetness of his little face when he looks at me after waking up and says...."muffwin, pwease, mommy?"





BEAUTY MUFFINS (adapted from slim shoppin')

1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup oat flour
1 cup oats
1 tbsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp ground flax
2/3 cup sugar
2 bananas, peeled and mashed
1 1/4 cup coconut milk
1/8 cup oil
1 egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (Enjoy Life) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Combine dry ingredients. Add bananas, milk, oil, egg and vanilla. Stir in chocolate chips until just combined.


Spray muffin pans or use liners. This recipe makes 18 muffins.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.



4 comments:

Lisa said...

These look yummy. Konny is certainly enjoying himself.

momof4 said...

mmmm...these sound yummy!

pom. said...

YUM!!

I love chia!!
obvsly.

that last photo of konny is freakin' killer!!!

Jamie Kaufmann said...

OMGosh, he is so cute! Reading about your soccer star reminds me of Miles. We have so much in common!

Hey, where do you buy Xanthum Gum? I gotta try these!